(updated May 24, 2018)
ZipGrade LLC ("ZipGrade", "us", "we", or "our") operates the www.zipgrade.com website and the ZipGrade mobile application (the "Service").
We use your data to provide and improve the Service. By using the Service, you agree to our collection and use of your information in accordance with this Policy. Unless otherwise defined in this Policy, the terms and conditions set forth herein have the same meaning and effect as those contained in our Terms and Conditions.
What is ZipGrade?
ZipGrade is a collection of applications and website that allows teachers to grade multiple choice papers and analyze the results. The teacher uses the mobile ZipGrade App to capture an image of the student’s paper. This image is analyzed for each student response and then compared against the teacher’s answer key. The teacher is able to quickly see the student’s score on the mobile app. The score and image are stored on the local mobile device for later review by the teacher.
If the teacher has optionally entered information about their students (limited to first name, last name, student ID numbers, and class), the graded papers may be connected to the student records to enrich the analytics and provide more complete reporting within the mobile app.
In the default configuration this data, which includes graded paper data, student information, and the images of the papers, are synced to a central secure server to allow teachers to also use the ZipGrade website to more easily report and manage the data.
The teacher’s ZipGrade username is required to access the website containing this data. If the teacher does not want the quiz, paper image, and quiz results to reside outside of their local device and not be accessible on servers managed by ZipGrade, then please refer to the section titled 'disable syncing' below.
Both the ZipGrade Mobile Apps and ZipGrade website are intended for use solely by the teacher. Students should not be expected to use or access the ZipGrade application.
What type of data is collected?
We collect two types of information that are available to us: (1) User account information and usage data collected automatically and (2) User managed information you provide within the application that is optionally synced to our servers.
User account information and usage data collected automatically:
- Referred to as "User Account Information" in this document. ZipGrade acts as a controller of this data.
- To create a ZipGrade user Account, a teacher must provide an e-mail address that acts as the unique username for their account. They must also provide a password that will be used to login to the ZipGrade service.
- As both a free and paid service, ZipGrade will store your current subscription information; including your subscription end date and log of previous purchases.
Cookies and similar technologies:
- We (or our service providers) may use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit our Service including, clear GIFs, “tags”, “scripts”, and “cookies”. We use both, session and persistent cookies: a session cookie disappears after you close your browser; a persistent cookie remains after you close your browser. We may also use, collect, and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5). ZipGrade uses these technologies to tailor the Service for you.
- We collect device-specific information such as your operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers. This helps us measure how the Service is performing and improve ZipGrade for you on your particular device.
- Like most online services, when you use our Service, we automatically collect and store certain information in our server logs. Examples include things like:
- Details of how you used our service, such as your activity on the Service, and the frequency and duration of your visits to the ZipGrade Website or ZipGrade Apps.
- IP Address
- Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL
User managed information you provide within the application that is optionally synced to our servers:
- Referred to as "User Managed Information" in this document. ZipGrade acts as a processor of this information.
Quiz Key and Standards Information
- In order to grade papers, the teacher must provide information about the quiz being graded. This includes the name of the quiz, answer key and optional information about what standards or competency each question exercises.
Student Papers Information
- While grading papers, the ZipGrade Mobile Apps will capture an image of the paper being graded and the resulting score. Teachers may optionally connect each paper with the student record for enriched reports; namely more complete exports and ability to report on student performance over time. If the paper is not attached to a student record, the app will use the image of the name box on the paper itself for display purposes.
Class and Student Information
- The teacher may optionally provide information about their classes and students. A class record consists of the name of the class and the students (below) that are in the class. A student record consists of a first name, last name, a numeric student id, an optional text reference field (labeled External ID), and the classes for this student.
How does ZipGrade use the information it collects?
ZipGrade does not sell any of your provided information to any third-party for any purpose. ZipGrade does not present any advertising within the ZipGrade Apps and ZipGrade Website.
We use the information we collect from you to provide you with the best experience in grading papers and providing analytic data about the graded papers. More specifically, this information is used to:
- Provide and improve the Service, for example by developing new products and features;
- Respond to your requests for information or customer support;
- Customize the Service for you, and improve your experience with it; and
- Send you information about pending account and subscription events, such as an expiring subscription or account status.
Will ZipGrade share any information that is collected?
- Exporting and Third Party Integrations on our Service: With the ZipGrade service, the teacher may elect to export quiz results and student in various file formats or directly to another system such as gradebook software or a learning management system (“LMS”). This data is only shared at the direction of the teacher within the ZipGrade Apps or ZipGrade website.
- Testimonials: We post testimonials on our Service which may contain personal information such as name, photo, and/or video of the individual in the testimonial. We obtain the individual’s consent in advance to ensure we have permission to post this content publicly. To request removal of your personal information from our testimonials, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Legal Requirements: We may disclose personal information when presented with a duly authorized subpoena issued by a court of law or equity; or when compelled to do so by a government agency. We also may disclose personal information when we have concluded that it is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of ZipGrade, our employees, or others; or to prevent violations of our Term of Service or other agreements. This includes, without limitation, exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection.
- With Consent: Other than the situations described above, we won’t disclose your personal information unless you first consent to it. Additionally, we will not sell your personal information to advertisers or other third-parties.
How does ZipGrade protect and secure my information?
Your ZipGrade account is secured by a username (consisting of a valid e-mail address) and a password that you generate. You can help us protect your account against unauthorized access t by selecting a unique password and keeping your password secret at all times.
The security of your personal and student information is very important. We have implemented technology and operational processes to protect against unauthorized use, disclosure or access to personal information. This includes:
- Engineering decisions are made with security as a primary requirement;
- Periodic reviews of operation and technical processes with an eye towards current threat and security best-practices;
- All User Managed Data is encrypted while in transit (SSL/TLS) and while at rest on ZipGrade servers(AES-256);
- All passwords are stored and transmitted securely. Passwords are never stored in plain text. Instead they are salted and one-way hashed using current encryption libraries.
- We automatically delete unused User Managed Data for expired and unused accounts after a specific period of time, as per our data retention policy, described in the ‘How long does ZipGrade Keep User Managed Data?’
Although we make good faith efforts to maintain the security of data information systems we cannot guarantee the absolute security of information. Outages, attacks, human error, system failure, unauthorized use or other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time. If we learn of a security breach, we will attempt to notify you electronically with 72 hours of identifying the breach so that you can take appropriate protective steps. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
Can I opt-out of providing information?
User Managed Information:
- You may elect not to share any User Managed Data (including all student related data) with the ZipGrade service by disabling ‘sync’ on the ‘My Account’ section on the ZipGrade website. With the sync option disabled, no User Managed Data will be synced to the ZipGrade servers for your ZipGrade user account. Any data that had previously been synced to the central servers will be marked for deletion on the servers and purged pursuant to our data retention policies set forth below.
- If the syncing option is disabled, you will be able to use the ZipGrade mobile app. However, most features of the ZipGrade website will be disabled as it will not have any data regarding your students, quizzes, or papers. This includes using and creating custom forms.
- Also note that by disabling the sync process, your User Managed Data will not be backed up by ZipGrade. In the case of a new phone, corrupted data, or other possible issue; you will not be able to recover your Student Data from such a backup.
User Account Information
- If you do want us to stop maintaining data for your account, please see 'How can I delete my account?' below.
How can I manage my personal information?
User Managed Information:
- All records of User Managed Data may be viewed and edited, including deletion, by you through the mobile application and website interfaces.
- The mobile application and websites also allow viewing and exporting of all User Managed Information.
User Account Information
- We use your stored username and a hashed version of your password as the primary method of identifying you to allow access to your account. If you need to change your username, please contact us at email@example.com for instructions. Changing a username requires verifying access to your original account.
- If you need to change your password, use the ‘Forgot my Password’ link on the login screen of the ZipGrade Website. This will send an e-mail with a link to the your e-mail address with the link to allow you to change the password.
- You have the right to view and make corrections on all User Account Information. If you would like a readable version of all User Account Information and to make corrections, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
How can I delete my account?
If you want your account to be deleted from the ZipGrade service, please contact us at email@example.com. A confirmation step will be required. When deleting an account, all associated User Managed Information and User Account Information are removed and purged from backups within 60 days. This will also disable use of the mobile application for your account.
How long does ZipGrade keep personal information?
User Managed Information:
- We strive to keep as little personal information as possible and only as long as needed to provide our service to you. To that end, all User Managed Data is removed, including backups, within sixty (60) days of being marked for removal by the user. If an account goes dormant, defined as no new or changed data for one hundred eighty (180) days; all User Managed Data for that ZipGrade user is removed from all servers, including backups.
User Account Information
- Free accounts, which include accounts with expired subscriptions, that have been dormant – accounts created more than 365 days ago and containing no new or changed data for one hundred eighty (180) -- will be removed from the ZipGrade servers and backups within 60 days.
- We will not remove active accounts or accounts with a valid subscription unless instructed to do so by you.
What communications will I receive from ZipGrade?
If you are registered a ZipGrade user, provided an e-mail address to us, or otherwise opted-in to receive communications from us; we may send you messages and updates regarding your account, including privacy and security notices, updates regarding the Service, and information regarding products, features, or services from ZipGrade. These communications may include push notifications and e-mail. If you have an account with us, we’ll also use your e-mail address to contact you for customer service purposes, or for any legal matters that arise in the course of business.
How will ZipGrade notify me of changes to this policy?
What if I’m not in the US?
California Privacy Disclosures
Since ZipGrade does not track its users over time or across third party websites to provide targeted advertising, it does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals.
How can I contact ZipGrade with questions?
PO Box 729
New Lenox, IL 60451