(Effective July 17, 2020)
ZipGrade’s Children’s Privacy Protections:
- When an Education Institution or Teacher agrees to our Terms of Service, they have warranted and represented to us that they have the permission and consent of the Child’s Parents/Guardian to provide us with limited personal information of the Child-Student. The Child’s Teacher is the only way a child can access ZipGrade to view the student portal and quizzes. If Teacher does not provide the Quiz URL or access code, the student cannot access ZipGrade and the student’s quizzes.
- If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under 13 without parental consent having been provided by either the child’s Parent/Guardian to their Education Institution, or through the Education Client, we will delete that information or seek the parent’s consent for that collection.
- The information we gather about the child is limited; and we will not use that information:
- To engage in advertising of any kind;
- To create a profile of a student, except in furtherance of a school purpose;
- Sell that information; and/or
- Disclose outside of ZipGrade, except in compliance with applicable laws and government regulations.
- The Teacher retains full autonomy to review all data captured by the ZipGrade system and may delete it if desired.
Child Generated Content:
Some activities on our Site may allow a child to create content. However, these activities do not generally require children to provide personal information unless the child’s teacher has asked the child to provide personal information. If the teacher’s activity requires a child to insert personal information in their created content, ZipGrade will seek verifiable parental consent by email for the collection.
Verifiable Parental Consent:
In the event that ZipGrade seeks to collect any personal information from a child, COPPA requires that we first seek the consent of the parent/guardian by email. This would not be something that ZipGrade would do in the ordinary course of its present operations. If, however, this were to occur, we would explain in our email exactly what we are collecting, how we may use it, how the parent/guardian can provide consent, and how consent may be revoked. If we do not receive parental/guardian consent within a reasonable time, we will delete the parent contact information and any other information that may have been collected from the child in connection with the child’s activity.
Teacher Consent instead of that of a Parent.
With regard to school-based, activities, COPPA allows Teachers and School Officials to act in the place of the parent/guardian to provide consent for the collection of personal information from children. Schools should always notify parents about these activities. For further information on the rights of parents/guardians with respect to a child’s educational record under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), please visit the FERPA site (https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/parents.html).
ZipGrade’s Email Contact with a Child:
In the course of answering emails in support of the ZipGrade service, we may encounter an email from a child. This may include the child's email address as the sender. If we discover or are notified that the sender is a child, ZipGrade will delete this information immediately after responding to the child’s question or request. If the child is engaged in more than one ongoing communication, a parent may be required to opt out of each communication individually.
When a child interacts with ZipGrade, certain information may be collected to make our Site more interesting and useful for users, as well as for various purposes for our business. Examples would include the type of computer operating system, the child’s IP address or mobile device identifier, the web browser, the frequency with which the child uses our Site, and information regarding the online or mobile service provider. This information is collected using technologies such as cookies, web beacons, and other unique identifiers. This data is mainly used for internal purposes only in order to provide children with access to features on our Site, to customize and improve our Site; analyze the performance of our applications and generate anonymous reporting for use by ZipGrade.
Parental Choice and Controls:
Parents/Guardians may refuse to allow ZipGrade to continue collecting personal information of their child at any point in time and can request us to delete from our records the personal information of their child that we may have collected. However, a request to delete may result in the termination of your child’s account with ZipGrade.
Any inquires may be directed to:ZipGrade LLC
PO Box 729
New Lenox, IL 60451
United States of America
In any correspondence such as e-mail or regular mail, please include your child’s student ID number, their access code, and the parent’s email address and telephone number. To protect your child’s privacy and security, we will take reasonable measures to help verify a parent’s identity before granting access to any personal information.